Tuesday, July 28, 2009

nostalgia.

Today I was watching Gilmore Girls on DVD and it made me very nostalgic. It made me think of high school and studying too much, of practicing my viola every night so that my fingers were calloused and the spot on my neck never really disappeared no matter how much make-up I tried to cover it up with. And I thought of driving out to youth group so faithfully every week that if it were a dirt road, I would have left deep ruts in that familiar path. I thought of how much I loved my church in high school and how excited I was to bring people to youth group, because I was so certain God would speak to them there. I thought of watching the WB and being horribly, terribly caught up in these shows and the lives of these characters, and of calling Tiffany every week after each episode to discuss and reflect. And I loved that delicious feeling of curling up in my room with a good book while it rained outside. Remember life before a driver’s license? Sometimes I miss that, having nowhere to go because you couldn’t go father than your own two feet could take you. I thought of slumber parties and pouring over magazines with girls, and I thought of when boys were some far-off mystery, and not real people and real possibilities, who can love you or hurt you quite terribly. I thought of some of the awful outfits I used to wear, and how long I didn’t know what to do with my hair and so it was this awful frizzy mess on top of my head, and I remembered when sending or receiving a text message was a rare treat. And it surprised me to realize that I am different, that I am growing up, and that I’m not who I once was.

And all of this because of Lorelei and Rory. God truly works in mysterious ways.

1 comment: