Wednesday, November 16, 2011

hungry.

"Therefore, putting away falsehood, let every one speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another," says the author of Ephesians (4:25), and that is the heart of the matter.

I need you.  I need to be myself.  I am afraid.  I am angry.  I am in pain.  Hear me.  Help me.  Let me try to help you.  Let us love one another.  If we would only speak the truth to one another--parents and children, friends and enemies, husbands and wives, strangers and lovers--we would no longer have to act out our deepest feelings in symbols that none of us understand.

In our sickness, stubbornness, pride, we starve ourselves for what we hunger for above all else.  "Speaking the truth with love" is another phrase from Ephesians (4:15).  It is the only cure for the (disease) that afflicts us all.



--Frederick Buechner, Whistling in the Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment